I took Humanities in high school. I can't remember my teacher's name- I remember what she looks like...but mostly I remember keeping a tally all day every day of how many times she said ummmm. I can still hear it today: blah blah blah ummmmm.... blah blah blah ummmmm.... she'd hit the same note every time she said it. Anyway, that's not the point. Guess what I got in the mail today? A letter from myself from 2006 in my humanities class.
What are you supposed to learn from those assignments anyway? Are they supposed to make you feel bad about yourself when you read them? My feelings about that class were really reflected in my letter because it's only as long as it absolutely had to be, and I don't appear to have put much thought into it. I was supposed to write my goals, and how I hoped my life would be by now, but the only thing I went into any detail on was.....yep, of course. My marriage and my husband. HOW IRONIC. Well, I still want the things I wrote five years ago. And for the record, I either wasn't listening in class or the teacher sent them early because my letter says "in 7 years..." so technically, even though I haven't achieved the things I hoped for in my letter, I do still have time before the 7 years is up.
Seriously, what is the point of that assignment? Now, I'm going to try to have a positive take on this. It's good to be reminded of what we want. It's good to refocus ourselves on our goals- okay, so maybe some of our goals have changed since 11th grade, but for me, since the only thing I even talked about was my marriage (oh my gosh I still can't get over how ironic it is that that's the only thing I cared about), that goal still remains. I remember what I've always wanted, and I can still look forward to that someday.
Keep moving forward, Kels.
Mrs. goodfellow. I still have the tally post-its. Not really but I tell Libby that story all the time.
ReplyDelete