Right now my social life is a lot like Goldilocks and the Three Bears. For the record, I am not officially single. Yet, I would certainly not classify myself as "married." This brings up a problem that most of us misfits face until life sorts itself out a bit. Where do we fit then? I'd sure love to try some social porridge, but I don't fit into any of the right categories right now so my situation turns one bowl of porridge too hot, and another too cold. So, where do we fit in? The answer is nowhere, really (thank you, Mom, I know, I'll always fit in at home).
I've never been a terribly social person. If you know my sister, Katelin at all, we're social opposites. She's a butterfly, I'm...whatever the opposite of a butterfly is. But I've been surprised to find out that I'm itching to be social! Granted, I'm not looking to jump into the singles ward right away, but I want friends! I want to talk to people! And one invisible, yet crucial part of a social life is that you know your status! For heavens sakes, that's the first question in a social atmosphere...."so....are you single?" And when you get awkward on question #1, the rest of the experience is going to bomb.
Don't write me off here. Yes, I'm working on positivity, and I'm going to work through this social bump and still make it work. I'm not saying just because I can't answer that question that I simply can't have any social life and that I'm doomed.
But it's hard, okay?
I think this just comes with the circumstance. Everyone who's been here has been here. Surprise, surprise. The goal: continue to be anxious for my version of social, because then when I finally can go and do it, I WILL!

No comments:
Post a Comment