Sunday, October 30, 2011

I get it, thanks.

Over the summer Toni came down and we had caramel apples at Rocky Mountain Chocolate Factory.  I'm in love with those apples.  Anyway, at some point that day Toni said she'd just wait for the picture I sent because she knew I'd go home and make some myself.  That day has come.



AND NOW, THE POINT OF THIS POST:
Things I have been told in the past 48 hours:

  • "wow, Ms. Cook, you sure bake a lot of cookies."
  • "instead of asking you how your day was, I'm just going to start asking what you baked today..."
  • "no, don't you go betty crocker on me"
  • "you don't have to eat your problems, kels"
  • person 1: "who made these?" person 2: "who do you think?"
  • "of course, your day wouldn't be complete without some sort of dessert"
  • "well aren't you just a little suzie homemaker!"
ALRIGHT I GET IT, FRIENDS! No, those were not all from the same person, apparently my obsession is visible to everyone in my life. 

This is a conversation I've had on EVERY date I've been on....
Him: So, what do you like to do?
Me: Mmm...I really like to cook.
Him: Oh really?  What's your favorite thing to cook?
EVERY. SINGLE. DATE.  

I'm starting to feel like I need to broaden my horizons.  Well let's be fair here, I do other stuff.  I just like cooking better.  Yes, I do hit the gym most days.  I sometimes throw in an extra mile so I can have 2 cookies instead of just 1.  What else do I like.....I like watching my shows, I like taking hikes, I love looking at the autumn leaves, I like playing with my nephews, I like trying new restaurants, I like stuff.  And yes, I do know that that list sounds like your typical life of a 40 year old single lady, and yes it is awkward when I try to pretend I like 22 year old things.

When Katelin says it's time to put on a Halloween costume and go to a party at midnight, I say it's time for bed.  When someone says let's go to ward prayer I say let's bake something instead.  When we're at dinner at 9:30 and someone says "what should we do now....maybe we should go put on all denim and go bowling..."  all I can say is "why?" 

Life is different when you get married.  And so coming back to singlehood can be awkward.  
Sometimes I feel like I'm 40 instead of 22.  That's all I'm sayin.


2 comments:

  1. Not sure if I should take offense or not...considering I am 46. I will just choose to think that we would have a lot of fun hanging some day ;) 40 isn't so bad!

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, this is just you being a working woman. I'm 27 and am the same way. I helped set up for our stake dance last night, and the DJ was talking about how no one would show up until 9 or 10. I told him that was my bedtime. On a Saturday night? Yes, sir! Call me a lame-o, but I like my sleep!

    ReplyDelete