There is an artist named Harry Anderson. He did a lot of the "hang up in the foyer" artwork at church.
He also painted this:
What would you call it?
"Christ with Little Children"
"Come unto me"
"Jesus and Children"
Something like that.
This artist chose to title this painting "What happened to your hand?"
Beautiful. It totally changes the dynamic of the painting. I went to a fireside a few weeks ago and was introduced to this little fact. It's been on my mind since then. Seems like that's the most simple, yet sincere question that little girl could have asked. She cares what happened to His hands. She saw the marks and said "owie?"
I like it. It changes the atonement for me. Yes, we're supposed to be "even as little children" but I never applied that to the Atonement. That's big kid stuff. You have to be an adult to understand the Atonement.
Or do you?
I just think that's where it all starts. I don't have to be a grown up to be a part of the Atonement. I don't have to be put together or mature or fine or even half-fine. It doesn't matter because if we view the gospel with that humble approach, the rest just doesn't matter. What happened to His hands? That matters.

love this.. and you
ReplyDelete