Better things come to those who believe.
And the best things come to those who don't give up.
Hey guys, I got divorced last year.
People told me, "oh you'll be able to jump right back into dating, you young little thing, you."
I said 'i know.'
People told me "i bet you'll be married again within a year."
I said 'i know.'
People told me "it'll be like it never happened- you're so great, dating won't be an issue."
I said "i know.'
I didn't know. On all counts.
But I thought I did. Over the last few weeks I've realized that although I said I was still all for marriage and had that as my goal, I didn't actually believe that this was possible. One of my best friends recently observed that I'm kind of a relationship hater. Ouch. True. I've been on a lot of dates over the last year. Haven't put an ounce of effort into making any of them turn into a relationship. One of these gentlemen told me that he felt I wasn't willing to try a relationship because I was scared. But that's not it. (and yes, that poor gentleman hit the road shortly thereafter....) It's not that I've been scared (i mean i am, but that's not the point at hand), it's that I just haven't believed that the kind of relationship I thought I had last go around was actually possible in reality.
I've been looking around at couples in love. Couples getting married. Couples staying married. And it's literally confusing. I do not understand how it happens. For the past 15 months I have not understood how that can actually happen in my life. I mean, I don't live in a movie here. Who says a knight in shining armor has any place in the story of my life?
Well here's the thing: someone with some serious credibility has told me that a healthy, loving and eternal relationship can be in my life. And its taking a significant amount of faith to trust Him on it. But I think I'm starting to understand faith. Because once you get a glimpse of the kind of potential Heavenly Father can see in your life, and you have the faith that He can actually get you there, then a whole range of possibilities open up.
CLARIFICATION: I'm not dating anyone. Haven't just met "the one." But I just have a feeling that good things are coming my way and I'm thriving on the idea that I can actually have good things if I keep doing what I'm supposed to be doing.
E.E. Cummings said "it takes courage to grow up. & to become who you really are."
Well amen, Edward. You got that right.
Well amen, Edward. You got that right.
Why am i crying
ReplyDeleteGood luck with everything. I admire your strength. You are one amazing woman!
ReplyDeleteAs always, you are wise beyond your years. I hope I can be like you someday. Way to be a good listener and thanks for sharing with your family and friends who care about you. I, for one, am a better person for having the opportunity to be one of your friends. =0)
ReplyDeleteI get it...all of it.
ReplyDeleteWell I obviously have the best support group :) You guys are sweet. I feel like I need to do lunch and catch up with all 4 of you. I'll work on that....
ReplyDeletegood things are coming your way. I'm glad you are starting to realize it. Love you. I second Jana and hope that I can be like you one day. Thanks for letting me learn from you! Love you!
ReplyDeletehey kelsey!
ReplyDeleteso one of my favorite blogs is called, The Good Women Project, and they wrote a post near the end of last year titled, Dating Tip #1: You Don't Have to Date (http://goodwomenproject.com/dating/you-dont-have-to-date). ha ha. i'm not telling you not to date, but it was a really good read for me after a particularly stabbing break-up. i really admire you. really, really admire you.
xo
Julia- I LOVE this! Thanks for sharing. Love this part-
Delete"I'm tired, I’m skeptical, I’m hurting, and I’m recovering.
I’m also hopeful, forgiving, growing, and faithful.
But right now, the last thing I want to do is date"
So accurate! First two lines most days, and every once in a while, that last line is reality too!
You're so great. Thanks for your nice words. Following that blog now....