Friday, December 14, 2012

#dothesepjsmakemelookfat

A hashtag for a post title.  I'm sorry, I couldn't resist.  Instagram is new to me and thinking of hashtags has become a new hobby.  I think in hashtags.  I sometimes wish I could speak in hashtags.  It could add some fun to our day, that's all I'm saying.

In elementary school, I hated gym.  I would pretend to be sick every time we had to play that dumb game where you had to simultaneously guard the bowling pin and try to not get pelted with the ball.
(why???)
I would call my mom every time.
 
"Hi, Mom.  I'm sick.  can you come get me?"
Well what hurts?
"Uhh... everything.  Just please come and get me."

Not my favorite day.  However, the days I loved were the days I was allowed to wear my pjs.  There is something empowering about not having to zip or button pants for one day (you know, like how 'it's astounding how much one's stress level goes down with the simple act of switching from skinny jeans to yoga pants') The read-a-thon was a big deal.  I would always make sure I had a treat and my blankie. I would complete those assignments where we had to search the newspaper and cut specific things out like it was my job to do it.

So you can understand how pleased I am to announce that today is PAJAMA DAY.  Ah, I chose the right profession.  I literally have been looking forward to this all week.  I have a secret.  And that secret is last month while on my stroll through K-Mart I found this sweet nightgown that may or may not be made of plaid flannel.  Well naturally, I had to have it. Stop judging me, it's awesome.  My family hasn't warmed up to it yet.  I guess it's not the most flattering thing in my closet.  I told my family I was going to wear it to pajama day.  They laughed.  I said I was serious.  They said don't you dare.  So they bullied me into wearing my plain normal people PJs.  How dull.  Don't worry, on my way out the door I decided I better grab it just in case I had a change of heart.  I did.  Only for one period, but still.

People at work comment on how I always dress up and do all these goofy things in front of the kids.  It's true, I do.  But I remember my middle school years being tempted to do something fun or goofy, but being too scared.  These are the years where you have zero confidence until you see someone else do it and not die.  Then it becomes doable.  So I have made myself THAT person.  I will do all the goofy things first so the kids have enough confidence to have a little fun.  And I can make up for all the awesome but unpublished ideas I had in middle school.

Flannel jammies for life.

4 comments:

  1. I've missed your blog posts. Please keep going.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just stumbled across your blog, such a good writer!You are amazing and have such a good outlook on life! That's great that you are a teacher now too! You rock the flannel:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aubrey, thank you!! So glad we bumped into each other in blogland. Hope you guys are doing great!!

    ReplyDelete